There are huge differences between a refurbished computer, a used computer, and a second-hand computer. This ultimate guide will explain what a refurbished laptop is and give tips on sourcing and buying affordable refurbished laptops in 2022
What are Refurbished Laptops?
There are many types of refurbished laptops. Let’s take a look here at some of the various distinctions.
Some refurbished laptops are computers returned for any reason. They are cleaned, inspected, and repaired if needed and are usually resold with a full warranty. The data of the previous owner, if there is any, is wiped from the laptop restoring its factory settings. They are brand-new laptops removed from their packaging or sent to the original manufacturer for fixing and sold for lower prices.
A canceled order, overstocking, store models, and damages from shipping can cause computers to need refurbishing. However, sometimes people can be lucky and get a brand-new laptop.
Refurbished laptops are not the same as used laptops. A used computer was previously owned and comes with no warranty or updates. Typically, used laptop batteries lose power quickly.
On the other hand, when consumers buy refurbished computers, they can be assured that they’re getting a like-new machine. So when searching for a refurbished laptop, the goal is not to find any old or second-hand laptop but instead to find one that works just as well as a new computer of the same model.
Refurbished Laptop Grades
Grade A Laptops: A grade A refurbished computer is an open-box computer that hasn’t been used. Either because they were returned immediately after purchase or are unwanted. They are usually sold in their original box. They also sometimes come with all the original accessories. This is the closest option to buying a new device.
Grade B Laptops: These refurbished computers are visibly used and may have cosmetic issues. There are refurbished laptops that might have slight scratches. They come with a compatible or original charger. A Grade B computer may cost 20% less than a new computer.
Grade C Laptops: Compared to a Grade B, wear will be more evident with a Grade C computer as it may have apparent dents and scratches.
Why Choose a Refurbished Laptop
- It saves money: So why choose refurbished computers? The most apparent benefit of buying a refurbished laptop is that it helps save money. It’s no secret that purchasing the latest generation of technology has a high price tag. On the other hand, people can get a refurbished model with the latest software for a low price.In the world of computers, people can spend less and still receive a machine in good working order with quality components. For a lower price than a new computer, you can get all the features of a top-notch device with solid battery life. The discounts are usually worthwhile, especially if you buy refurbished PCs from authorized refurbishers like PCs for People.
- It comes with a better warranty: Certified refurbished products from refurbishing companies are chosen from expensive, well-known brands, which is why they come with a one-year warranty that may be extended to three years. In addition, replacement parts and necessary laptop maintenance are covered for the duration of the warranty. Thus, buying a refurbished laptop is relatively safe.
- It is high quality: Because they went through rigorous processes and were tested to confirm that they meet high-performance criteria, refurbished computers are of a high caliber. Consumers can buy refurbished laptops of the newest models at a significant discount.
How Do I Source Refurbished Laptops?
Some merchants provide refurbishing programs, which either restore the computers themselves or hire outside companies. For instance, users can get great deals for refurbished computers at PCs for People stores or online. These programs typically explain their strict guidelines for vetting sellers so that customers can be assured they are buying quality products.
Who Should Buy a Refurbished Computer?
Refurbished computers save people from spending a lot of cash while providing excellent performance, especially when bought from a trusted seller. This is why they are an excellent option for many people.
- Students on a tight budget can get more for less with refurbished laptops.
- Parents who need computers for their kids to do schoolwork can more easily afford a refurbished computer.
- Because they employ integrated graphics, new budget laptops aren’t perfect for gaming. Instead, consider looking for used, older-model gaming laptops with an actual video card that can play the most recent games on low settings.
When Should I Not Buy a Refurbished Laptop
Generally speaking, consumers should steer clear of refurbished equipment older than five years because the device can be old-fashioned, and they might not be able to operate the programs you require.
Consumers can look into older refurbished computers if they only need to perform essential functions like word processing and internet browsing. An old laptop doesn’t necessarily equate to a negative experience.
A refurbished product should ultimately function and appear much like a brand-new computer. While it might not perform as well as brand-new models, its components should still work.
Where Can I Buy Refurbished Computers?
- PCs for People: PCs for People is a great place for income-eligible users to get a good deal on computers. These refurbished computers have been rigorously tested, and their components are in perfect condition. Laptops purchased from PCs for People come with a one-year guarantee.
- Amazon Renewed: Although Amazon goes into considerable depth regarding the quality control of its products, it is wise to remember that they are nearly always third-party merchants. However, all computers purchased from Amazon Renewed come with a one-year warranty. You can get the latest generation of technology by buying refurbished devices at Amazon.
- eBay Certified Refurbished: eBay’s “shopfront” for electronics that have been expertly examined, tested, cleaned, and refurbished to factory specifications by the manufacturer or a vendor that has received manufacturer approval. Buying refurbished laptops on eBay should not be mistaken for purchasing used computers.
You can also source factory-refurbished laptops. Look at programs from reputable stores like Dell outlets, PCs for People, and organizations that are prepared to provide references and extensive information about their services before making a purchase.