9 Stats that Prove Environmental E-Recycling’s Benefits

9 Stats that Prove E-Recycling's Environmental Benefits
Improper electronic waste disposal is a global epidemic that poses a risk to the environment and human health. Only 20% of e-waste is properly collected and recycled, while the remaining 80% is either thrown into residual waste or disposed of under inferior conditions. Working with a trusted and certified e-recycling partner is essential to ensure proper electronic waste disposal. Here we will be sharing with you the recycling benefits.

Proper Electronics Recycling Makes a Difference

  1. In 2012, the U.S. produced 3.4 million tons of e-waste, with only 29.2% recycled and the rest disposed of in landfills or incinerators (EPA)
  2. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, approximately 30 to 40 million PCs will be due for “end-of-life management” each year. (EPA)
  3. E-waste harms nearly every system in the human body, as it contains various toxic components such as mercury, lead, cadmium, polybrominated flame retardants, barium, and lithium. Exposure to these toxins can result in birth defects and damage to the brain, heart, liver, kidneys, and skeletal system, according to Green Citizen.
  4. E-waste is handled by Asian informal markets, accounting for 50-80% of all e-waste. These markets often use harmful practices like burning and shredding, causing environmental and health damage. We need better ways to dispose of e-waste. (Population Reference Bureau)
  5. BAN studies have found that 40 percent of tracked devices given to U.S. electronics recyclers were sent offshore instead of recycled as promised.
  6. Recycling fewer than 20% of cell phones yearly results in significant greenhouse gas emissions. Recycling a million cell phones could be equivalent to taking 1,368 cars off the road for a year. (WasteCare)
  7. According to the EPA, recycling 1 million cell phones can recover 35,274 pounds of copper, 772 pounds of silver, 75 pounds of gold, and 33 pounds of palladium.
  8. According to the EPA, recycling 1 million laptops can save energy equivalent to 3,500 U.S. homes’ electricity use in a year. It’s a simple step towards reducing energy consumption and promoting sustainability.
  9. One ton of circuit boards contains 40-800 times more gold and 30 to 40 times more copper than one ton of mined ore, as per e-End USA. The value of recycling electronic waste and recovering these materials is immense.

Proper e-recycling benefits can do a lot of good. It protects the environment and safeguards communities from toxic fumes and materials while creating local job opportunities. By pledging to vet your e-recycler properly, you can help protect the environment. Not all e-waste recyclers are equal; some export waste to developing countries or fail to destroy device data safely. With PCs for People, you can trust that we use processing techniques that promote environmental stewardship and ensure 100% data destruction. We take full liability and are backed by insurance, so you can have peace of mind that your confidential information remains secure. Always look for certified e-recyclers with known integrity and certificates to back their claims.

Contact Us today!