Emergency Broadband Benefit Program
PCs for People is proud to be participating in the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program. As of May 12, 2021, eligible households can enroll in the program to receive a monthly discount off the cost of broadband service from an approved provider.
What are the benefits?
PCs for People is happy to offer discounts on both internet service and computers!
- A monthly* discount of up to $50** off your internet service and associated equipment (hotspots or modems depending on your location)
- For new subscribers, the benefit will be applied to the cost of your initial equipment purchase, and then it will cover monthly renewals for internet service after the first month.
- For current subscribers, the benefit will cover monthly renewals for internet service for the duration of the program.
- A one-time discount of up to $100 off select computers (as device supply allows) when purchasing internet from PCs for People.
*Please note that due to various program restrictions, subscribers will have to visit our website every month to use the EBB discount again to cover their internet bill. If choosing to pay for multiple months at once, subscribers will have to wait until their subscription ends to sign up.
**The EBB Program will provide a discount of up to $50 per month (up to $75 per month for households on Tribal lands) toward broadband internet service for eligible households.
- The Emergency Broadband Benefit is non-transferable and is limited to one program-wide discount per household.
- The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is a temporary emergency federal government benefit program operated by the Federal Communications Commission and when the emergency fund is gone, customers will have the option to choose whether they want to continue their subscription at PCs for People’s usual rates.
- The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program will end when the government fund runs out of money, or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the COVID-19 health emergency, whichever is sooner.
- For questions, please review the FAQ below or you can call PCs for People with questions at 651-354-2552.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program?
- The EBB Program is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program that provides financial support to cover monthly broadband bills for qualifying households.
- Who is eligible?
- Anyone who meets PCs for People’s eligibility requirements can apply for this benefit.
- When does the program start?
- The program launched on May 12, 2021.
- When does the program end?
- The EBB is temporary, and it will expire either when funds are exhausted or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) declares the end of the COVID-19 health emergency, whichever comes first. The program was initially funded with $3.2 billion.
- How does the program work?
- Visit our EBB portal at ebb.pcsrefurbished.com.
- Review and accept the EBB Terms on the website.
- Log into your existing PCs for People account or create a new one if you’re a new subscriber.
- Verify your account data through the National Lifeline Accountability Database (NLAD).
- Receive a confirmation message and proceed to shop from the eligible EBB products including hotspot or modem, one month of internet, and available computer packages.
- Can I use the benefit to cover a multi-month internet package?
- Due to the way the program is funded and administered, only renewals of one month of internet service will be covered with the benefit applied. This means that multi-month packages will not be eligible.
- What if I already pre-paid for multiple months? Can I get the benefit?
- The program does not permit for the benefit to be applied to past purchases or multi-month packages. If the program is still active when it comes time to renew their service, the Client can start renewing each month to receive the benefit.
- What are the available computer discounts?
- We will be offering desktop and laptop packages (while supplies last) that are all compatible for remote work or school. All computers are refurbished, with typical brands including HP, Dell, and Lenovo. Windows 10 operating systems are included and our Best-tier packages typically include MS Office Home and Student 2019. Laptops come with an AC adaptor. Desktop computer packages come with a monitor, keyboard, mouse, wireless adaptor, and any necessary audio/video accessories. Prices after the benefit is applied range from $11-$49.99, and you can see the currently available computers at https://ebb.pcsrefurbished.com.
- If I am enrolled with another internet service provider for monthly internet, can I get an EBB-discounted computer from PCs for People?
- Customers who are EBB-approved for the internet benefit at other internet service providers cannot use the computer benefit separately at PCs for People. The program restricts that we provide the EBB computer benefit to customers who subscribe to our internet service only. Should this change or be updated, we will certainly share the details.